Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Memoirs of a Geisha



December ended up being a stand out month of movies for me. I saw four movies (I'm counting HP, even though I did see it on the first day of the New Year) in the theater in a four week span, which is more movies than I think I've gone to in about 2 years. (Honestly, I can't remember the last time I saw a theatrical release every week.)
Anyway, my wife and some friends, mostly the girlfriends of my friends, originally wanted to make this movie the subject of a girl's night. But, it ended up being a mostly couples things, even though my friend, Matt, tried to see if we could go see Syriana instead. (Since that's more of a guy movie) No such luck, we'd have to tough it out. ;)
Anyway, the movie is awfully pretty, too bad it's awful everywhere else. The book is probably better, books usually are. There's been a lot criticism thrown its way for the international cast and crew Sony used to make the picture, and I did spend a majority of movie marvelling at how not-Japanese Zhang Ziyi, Michelle Yeoh, and Gong Li are, and how English is not their native language.
I wondered what would happen if this was a purely Japanese movie, replete with Japanese actresses and subtitles, but I can't say that it would be a better movie.
Oh, the highlight of the movie was this scene. I got excited because I was there. Clearly the highlight of the movie for me.
So there you go, Sony puts out an Oscar bait movie and will probably come up with nothing. (Maybe some nominations for set design, cinematography or art direction.)
Next.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home