Monday, January 02, 2006

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.


I feel absolutely no shame in admitting that I like the Harry Potter books, and even pre-ordered the Half-Blood Prince on Amazon when they made it available. I wouldn't say I'm a hardcore fan, I'm not on any mailing lists, I don't lurk on any forums, I don't write any Hermione/Ginny fanfiction or any fanfiction whatsoever, etc. I just like the books and think they are decently written.
Though, I will admit, I think the movies suffer in the way that most movies from books suffer. Namely that movies are generally too short a medium to do a novel length story justice, especially if said story has a lot of characters, a lot of subplots and a lot of character insight. Most of it gets lost in the translation from word to screen. While it would not have the same commercial potential (read: make less money) as a movie, a mini series or even full blown TV series might do the story more justice.
Having said that, I still liked GOF, the series is very well done, everyone is perfectly cast. And I like the fact that since it's a British movie, not everyone is cast for their attractiveness. I've always liked that about British productions, they aren't afraid to cast normal looking people in leading roles if they can act.
I didn't see any other of Mike Newall's other films, so I can't comment there, but I liked how there was continuity from Cuaron's movie in tone, if not in execution. The series gets more adverse and darker for Harry from here, so this is a good sign.
Still the movie needed more Alan Rickman and Gary Oldman and Miranda Richardson. But, I didn't mind so much since I got plenty of Emma Watson. Mark my words, she's well on her way to becoming a full blown, certified hottie. (Hmm, now that think about it, she might be already, considering the lag time of the movies. )
Oh, and it's slightly amusing that GOF's lesser villain, Barty Crouch, Jr., is now the new and improved Dr. Who. More on that later

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home